Canada is home to a wide variety of butterfly species. Here are Top Ten examples:
10. Mourning Cloak Butterfly (Nymphalis antiopa)
This butterfly is easy to spot with its maroon wings edged with a row of blue spots and yellow or white line.
9. White Admiral Butterfly (Limenitis arthemis)
Recognizable by its contrasting black and white or red and white pattern.
8. Great Spangled Fritillary Butterfly (Speyeria cybele)
This orange butterfly with black spots is found across Canada and the United States.
7. Milbert’s Tortoiseshell Butterfly (Aglais milberti)
This butterfly is small and has a unique pattern of orange and black, with a sharp, pointed appearance to its wings.
6. Red Admiral Butterfly (Vanessa atalanta)
A medium-sized butterfly that is black, characterized by red bands on the forewings and hindwings.
5. Painted Lady Butterfly (Vanessa cardui)
This species is found worldwide, and it has a beautiful pattern of orange, brown, and black.
4. Clouded Sulphur Butterfly (Colias philodice)
Also known as the common sulphur, it’s a yellow or white butterfly depending on the sex.
3. Cabbage White Butterfly (Pieris rapae)
This small white and black butterfly is common across Canada and North America.
2. Canadian Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio canadensis)
This large yellow and black butterfly is common in Canada and has a beautiful pattern.
1. Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexippus)
Remember that the distribution of these species can vary across Canada, with some species being more common in certain areas than others. It is also essential to note that the status of these butterflies can change over time due to factors like climate change, habitat loss, and human activity.
No matter where you are, there are local butterflies that need people to grow their required larval host plants. In this way, we can restore native plant species, and with them native insects, that will keep us all enchanted with nature… one day at a time!
Monarch Dreams Acrylic on Canvas (32″x40″)
A girl who dreams of butterflies rare, with wings that whisper hope in the air. 32″x40″ acrylic on canvas. Free shipping.