5 Saw Palmetto Seeds (Serenoa repens) – Florida Native – Free Shipping
Saw Palmetto Seeds: Embark on a botanical journey with these native gems, perfect for cultivating a piece of Southeastern U.S. wilderness in your own space.
Includes 5 Saw Palmetto drupes. USDA Zones 8-11. 100% dormant/hardened.
20 in stock (can be backordered)
Saw Palmetto Seeds
Embark on a journey of growth with our Saw Palmetto drupes (Serenoa repens). Sourced responsibly from the heart of Florida on our conservation land, each seed holds the promise of a resilient and iconic plant that can stand the test of time. Perfect for enthusiasts and seasoned gardeners alike.
Saw Palmetto naturally thrives in the Gulf States of the southeastern United States, from South Carolina to Florida, and west to the Gulf Coast of Texas.
The Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) is adapted to USDA Hardiness Zones 8 through 11. This means it can tolerate minimum winter temperatures ranging from 10°F to 40°F (-12.2°C to 4.4°C) depending on the specific zone. Within these zones, Saw Palmetto can thrive outdoors year-round.
– Acts as a critical food source for wildlife, especially during winter.
– Known to host multiple butterfly and moth species during their larval stages.
– Essential for its role in local ecosystems, offering cover for small animals and enriching the soil. It also helps germinate other species‘ seeds once established.
1. Preparation: Soak the drupes in water for 24-48 hours to initiate imbibition.
2. Scarification: To enhance germination, consider lightly scratching or sanding the outer endocarp or using a rock tumbler to gently abrade the surface.
3. Planting: Sow the drupe 1-2 inches deep in well-draining soil. Ensure the soil remains moist but not waterlogged.
4. Environment: Saw Palmetto seeds prefer warmth and humidity. Consider using a heat mat and maintaining a humid environment for best results.
5. Patience: Germination can be slow, so regularly check the soil moisture and be patient.
Note: Saw Palmetto germination can be a challenging yet rewarding experience. Success rates can vary, and the plant might take time to show its first green shoot. However, with patience and care, you’ll be nurturing a piece of native American ecology right in your space.
Saw Palmetto can live literally thousands of years, and they want to be your friend. Start your new friendship today!
Includes 5 Florida Native drupes. Some with dried pericarp, some without. USDA Zones 8-11. 100% dormant/hardened.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.